You know that scene in Empire Strikes Back, when Darth Vader meets with all the best bounty hunters from across the Galaxy -- Dengar, IG-88, Boba Fett, Bossk, Zuckuss and 4-Lom?
A few weeks ago, as I passed what was likely another illegal billboard of the thousands in L.A. I thought it would be great to call all of L.A.'s best graffiti artists (NOT taggers who destroy freeway signs btw), and on one night canvas as much of Los Angeles as possible, and turn the visual blight of billboards into artworks that the entire city can enjoy.
And maybe get those building supergraphics too.
well, looks like NYC beat me to it, without the badass bounty hunters.
Before and after (Bucky Turco/ANIMAL NEW YORK)And here's a link to the organizing group' page -- Public Ad Campaig's Municipal Landscape Control Committee. Looks like they're still waiting to compile all photo/video documentation. Nothing looks great so far, but the point is on how many of these illegal outdoor ads pollute the city aesthetic.
Plus, this isn't a new idea for me. I thought of this last year (minus the bounty hunters)
http://islandarc.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

No comments:
Post a Comment