Friday, July 24, 2009

cooler heads in Cambridge

The President steps into the daily press briefing to clarify somethings on the controversy over the Cambridge Police arresting Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

some selections from Boston.com's transcript:

The fact that it has garnered so much attention I think is a testimony to the fact that these are issues that are still very sensitive here in America. So to the extent that my choice of words didn't illuminate, but rather contributed to more media frenzy, I think that was unfortunate...

My hope is, is that as a consequence of this event this ends up being what's called a "teachable moment," where all of us instead of pumping up the volume spend a little more time listening to each other and try to focus on how we can generally improve relations between police officers and minority communities, and that instead of flinging accusations we can all be a little more reflective in terms of what we can do to contribute to more unity...

So at the end of the conversation there was a discussion about -- my conversation with Sergeant Crowley, there was discussion about he and I and professor Gates having a beer here in the White House. We don't know if that's scheduled yet -- (laughter) -- but we may put that together.

He also did say he wanted to find out if there was a way of getting the press off his lawn. (Laughter.) I informed him that I can't get the press off my lawn. (Laughter.) He pointed out that my lawn is bigger than his lawn. (Laughter.) But if anybody has any connections to the Boston press, as well as national press, Sergeant Crowley would be happy for you to stop trampling his grass.

hopefully, both the officer and the professor will join the president for a beer, and good conversation and resolve the stewing controversy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

-- --